Hello, comforting vegetarian dish! This meal took roughly one hour to make and can feed about five to six people.
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- -1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small potato
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (didn't have this so I used tarragon)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbs spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese (again, substituted sharp provolone because I'm a poor college student)
- Puff Pastry dough (one box: 2 sheets)
- To make Filling: heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic; cook 4-7 minutes, or until onion is lightly browned. add potato, carrot, and thyme; cook 3 minutes, then add 1/2 c water. Reduce heat, cover, and steam vegetables 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender.
- Whisk 1 egg with mustard in large bowl. Stir in vegetables and cheese and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Whisk remaining egg with 2 tbs water in separate bowl to make egg wash, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lay out one sheet of puff pastry on baking sheet. Fill with the vegetable filling leaving some space around edges. Lay second pastry sheet on top and pinch sides together. Use fork prongs to finalize the seam. brush top with egg wash and sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired. Bake on prepared baking sheet for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
I could maybe go for a little more mustard or tarragon leaves, but this is a great dish to fill you up and keep you happy! I'd give it 4.5 stars! (-.5 for a little blandness)